How does shipping work?
On Depop, it's the seller's responsibility to ship their item to the buyer.
How to set-up shipping:
1. When listing an item for sale, tap Delivery and swipe Shipping.
2. Tap 'arrange my own shipping'.
3. Add your shipping price. If you ship worldwide, don't forget to set one price for national shipping and one for worldwide.
Shipping prices are based on the size and weight of the item, and how far it has to travel. Here is a rough guide for how much to charge for shipping:
- Dresses: £5 - 8 / €6 - 10 / $7
- Tops: £4 / €5 / $5
- Tees/tanks: £4 / €5 / $5
- Outerwear: £8 - 12 / €10 - 15 / $10 - 15
- Jeans: £6 / €7 / $8
- Shoes: £10 / €12
- Jewellery/makeup/pins/small items: £2 / €3 / $5
- Worldwide shipping: £10 - 15 / €12 - 18 / $15
Remember you will need to purchase packaging so take this into consideration when thinking about what you want to charge the buyer for shipping.
5. Tap ✓, continue setting up your listing and publish.
After you've sold an item:
1. Package your item. Place your item in a box or shipping envelope, available at office supply stores or the post office. To make sure everything arrives in one clean piece, pack your items well with bubble wrap, newspaper and/or tissue paper. Including a handwritten thank you note, stickers, candy, business card, or other personal touches is also a nice way to show your buyer that you appreciate their business and encourages them to shop with you again!
2. Keep your buyer informed. Send your buyer a private message thanking them for their business and letting them know when you plan to ship. This eliminates a lot of guesswork on your buyer's end about the parcel's whereabouts and increases the odds of earning that sweet 5-star feedback.
3. Ship ASAP using tracked delivery. We recommend you use tracked shipping whenever possible for peace of mind on both sides of the transaction, as untracked parcels aren't protected under our, or PayPal's Seller Protection policy. Tracking numbers aren't always free, so remember to take that price into consideration when setting your shipping price. Bring your item to the nearest post office or shipping provider with your buyer's address and ship.
4. Mark the item as shipped. Tap Mark as shipped" on your sales receipt and add the shipping provider and tracking details. We'll let the buyer know their item has been shipped and they'll be able to see the tracking information on their receipt.
Tips for staying safe:
Only send the item to the address shown on the in-app receipt to be protected by PayPal's Seller Protection policy. If the buyer asks you to ship to another address, let them know you will have to refund their money, and ask them to update their Depop address and buy the item again. Just get in touch with us so we can also refund your Depop fee. If the address isn't visible in-app, it may be because the buyer chose to meet in person. Be aware that this option isn't covered by Seller Protection.
Keep your proof of postage. If something goes wrong with the transaction, it's likely you'll need to show you've sent the item. Keep in mind that in order to be valid and accepted by PayPal, your proof of postage needs to contain a tracking number, the first line of the buyer's address, the buyer's postcode and the date of shipping. If you don't want to hang on to loads of receipts, take photos of them and save them in your phone just in case.
Here's a helpful list of couriers that offer tracked shipping:
TLDR? We made the video below to summarise.