We work hard everyday to keep Depop a safe and fun marketplace.
To keep things simple we've put together a few tips on how to sell safely and avoid any problems.
1. Only sell in-app. To be paid on Depop, you need to have a PayPal account linked to your Depop account. Payment methods outside the app, such as bank transfers, direct PayPal payments, cash or other methods, are not safe and are against out Terms of Service so you will not be covered by Seller Protection if something goes wrong.
2. Make sure the payment has cleared. Some payments might take longer to clear to your account so be patient, when you sell an item, log into your PayPal account and check that the payment has come through (and is not Pending). If you ship the item before receiving the payment, you will not be covered by Seller Protection if anything goes wrong.
3. Send the item to the address located in your Sold Items list to be covered by Seller Protection. If you ship it to another address, you will not be covered. If the buyer asks you to ship to another address, tell them you will have to refund them the item, ask them to update their Depop address and then buy the item again. If the address isn’t visible, it may be because the buyer picked the option 'Meet in person'. Be aware that this option is not covered by Seller Protection.
4. Ship using a tracked and signed for delivery method. We recommend you use tracked and signed for shipping whenever possible for peace of mind on both sides of the transaction. This is also required in order to be eligible for Seller Protection. Tracking numbers aren’t always free, so remember to take that price into consideration when setting shipping prices.
5. Keep your proof of postage. This way, if something goes wrong with the transaction you will be able to prove the item was sent. Keep in mind that, in order to be valid, your proof of postage needs to contain the buyer’s address and date of shipping.
6. Follow up. Send the buyer an in-app message to make sure that they have received the item and they're happy with it. This will prevent misunderstandings and possible disputes due to miscommunication.
As you know, PayPal is a trusted platform that we use, to always ensure your money is safe and your transactions are protected.
However, we value our community, so in the event something goes wrong and you have done everything by the book, we will ensure you don’t lose out.
As stated previously, the option ‘meet in person’ is not covered by either Buyer or Seller Protection, as neither we or PayPal are able to verify any shipping details.